TIburon Yacht Club offers a
Free Beginning Tai Chi Class
If you have previous tai chi experience or are a quick study,
it may still be possible to join the class.
Email the instructor with your phone number.
Club members and non-members* are welcome, and are encouraged to bring a friend.
Tai chi is a low stress, low effort exercise that offers multiple health benefits, promoting strength, flexibility and balance. And it looks cool.
This weekly class will teach the 37-move Yang Short Form exercise. Emphasis will be on the fundamentals of tai chi practice and on learning the moves of the form.
A volunteer club member will teach this class. Participants can eventually move up to the advanced class, taught by a professional instructor.
If you're interested, please come to the first class on October 23 at the clubhouse. Registration, using the blue button at the bottom left, is appreciated and will let us keep you informed, but is not required.
Wear smooth-soled shoes with minimum grip, and loose-fitting, comfortable clothing.
If you can't make the first class, register anyway and we will try to catch you up. But it will be easier if you start from the beginning.
If you already know tai chi and the 37-move Yang Short Form, there is an ongoing advanced class with a professional instructor at 10:30 am on Tuesdays. Email for more information, or just come.
Where: Tiburon Yacht Club is in Paradise Cay, not downtown Tiburon. Address and map are at the bottom of this page.
* - Although TYC is a private club, we welcome all our neighbors to this class so we can have a larger group, and can get acquainted with you and vice versa.
Tai Chi and Its Benefits:
Tai chi is a low stress, low effort exercise that offers multiple health benefits, promoting strength, flexibility and balance.
An article in the New York Times reports that:
- Tai chi practitioners are significantly less likely to fall or incur a fall-related injury.
- For people with painful joints and muscles, tai chi enhances their ability to exercise within a pain-free range of motion.
- Tai chi has been shown to counter depression, anxiety and stress.
- "Significant improvements involving a host of different conditions can be achieved within 12 weeks of tai chi exercises done for an hour at a time twice a week."
Resources: This book and video describe the Yang Short Form. They may be helpful but are not a substitute for class attendance.
Questions? Contact Walt Bilofsky.